Update @ 3:15am:
The COSI team has finished their pre-flight checkouts and is ready to be moved to the flight line! The weather seems to be stable, so this might be it!
Watch the action live: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nasa-csbf-ldsd. Continue reading
COSI will be picked up at 1am for a launch around 8am (1pm PDT). Stay tuned for updates here and on our Facebook and Twitter pages. You can watch the launch and pre-launch activity at the CSBF site.
We often refer to the term Flight Operations to mean the monitoring and controlling of COSI in flight. Operations is a very crucial part of a successful flight, as it’s how we ensure COSI is working to the best of its ability throughout the flight. Thanks to our various communications links, as outlined in Talking to COSI, we can monitor and control many aspects of COSI in real-time during the flight.
A lot of people ask us if/how we talk to COSI in flight. We actually have 4 different ways of communicating with our instrument, each with different ways of sending/receiving data and, most noticeably, different speeds. Here’s a summary of the different communications links. Continue reading
We’ve been waiting for a good launch day since April 1, and two weeks later we’ve only had one launch attempt that got canceled due to weather. A common question from friends and family back home is: what’s wrong with the weather? Continue reading
Waiting around for perfect weather, we spent the first few days working on our telemetry and analysis tools that we will use to monitor the instrument from the ground. Since then, however, the pressure has let up some and we’ve had a few chances to enjoy ourselves.
Yesterday, some of us took off the afternoon to go wine tasting in Bannockburn. Continue reading
We’re working during the wee hours here in New Zealand to prepare for our first launch attempt. Watch the action at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nasa-csbf-ldsd and follow COSI’s live tweets. Continue reading
COSI will be rolling out tomorrow for our first launch attempt! The weather forecast looks marginal, but we wouldn’t want to miss a good day so we’ll be ready if it decides to improve. The science team will be showing up at 11:30pm to be ready for a gondola pick up at 1am. If the weather improves throughout the early morning hours then we’ll make it out to the flight line to start inflation around 7am for a launch around 8am.
We’ll keep you posted though Facebook and Twitter.
COSI had it’s compatibility test with CSBF last Wednesday. We had to wait for the excitement surrounding Warbirds to settle down and we needed a full day of good weather. The science team arrived at 5am to go through all of our checks to be ready for the gondola pick up by the launch vehicle at 8am. After hours of testing outside and only a few minor glitches we were happy to declare success by that evening. Continue reading
The New Zealand Air Force parked on the apron directly outside the doors of our hangar.
The tiny Wanaka Airport has been buzzing recently. Over the Easter long weekend they hosted the Warbirds Over Wanaka Airshow, which, from the view of our hangar right on the airport apron, was awesome. There were so many amazing planes and skillful pilots, and for many of us, it was our first airshow. We had the hangar doors open to the sunshine and excitement all weekend long and even though we were working most of the time, it was a lot of fun. Continue reading