I meant to update this a few days ago, but haven’t had a chance yet. It’s been an exciting week: we got the cryostat on the gondola and we have an almost fully built instrument!
Getting the cryostat on the gondola was a bit of a challenge. The crane inside the hangar is too low relative to the gondola to lift the cryostat on top of the gondola. To get around this, we thought we could lift the gondola off the cart, lift the cryostat onto the gondola, and then put the gondola back on the cart. Unfortunately, the crane is too low to even lift the gondola while inside. We ended up rolling the gondola outside and using a different crane that’s out there.
Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of the process of getting the cryostat on, as I was helping Carolyn and the riggers. First we had to lift the cryostat and attach the bottom shields. Then we lifted the cryostat onto the gondola and screwed it into place. It was great to have the riggers helping as well.
Here are some other pictures from the past couple of days: